Monday, September 7, 2009

Getting Ready

"And that’s what I want to focus on today: the responsibility each of you has for your education. I want to start with the responsibility you have to yourself. "

This quote is from the speech President Obama gave today at a high school in Arlington, Virginia (you can read the entire speech here - http://www.whitehouse.gov/MediaResources/PreparedSchoolRemarks/).   I hope my students heard his speech today, and that they realize that doing well in school isn't for their teachers, or their parents or families - but for themselves, for creating their own opportunities for the future.  And I hope they also paid attention to his plug for math:

"You’ll need the knowledge and problem-solving skills you learn in science and math to cure diseases like cancer and AIDS, and to develop new energy technologies and protect our environment."

Tomorrow the teachers go back to school, and then on Wednesday, all the students arrive.  And thus another school year begins.  I wonder if the students have the same questions that teachers do - Who will be in my classes?  Will the classes be interesting? Who will be eliminated this week on Project Runway?

My lessons for the first week of school are ready, and I am currently preparing math-y artwork with which to decorate the classroom, trying to include themes of geometry, math in the world, and humor.  Even though it's fun to set up the classroom myself, I love the way the room takes shape as the year progresses, as my students create work which shows what really goes on in Room 303. 

And even though it is hard to say farewell to summer vacation, I have to admit that I am excited for the new adventure that the school year brings.  Every year, every class presents new challenges and new possibilities.  So on to the possibilities......

9 comments:

  1. I Agree, & I'm Happy To Have You As A Math Teacher This Year.

    Tabetha M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im looking forward to this school year myself. Im also excited to have you as a math teacher.

    Tiara C.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, and i look forward to learning alot. I am also excited to have you as a teacher. =]

    Dayonna W.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i agree its up to us to do whats right, its up to us to give it all to have a great year in school.. =D


    Joanne M.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am loooking forward to having a great year in geometry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Im looking forward to you being my math teacher, i know math is going to be fun now.

    Andre W.

    ReplyDelete
  7. you were a great teacher and living math and you'll be the same in geometry. I really excited to have you as a teacher again b/c I had fun with you when you teached me before. This year is going to be great. Ms Menard you have nothing to worry about. See Ya!!

    Shalanna G.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i like your lil speech and the avater is cool it look just like you

    ReplyDelete
  9. i am really happy to have you again as my math teacher, you are the best math teacher i ever had.

    ReplyDelete