Thursday, September 10, 2009

After Day 2

I can't believe we've only been back at school for 2 days - in some ways it feels like everything is brand new, and in other ways, it feels as if we never left!  Even though there are a lot of new names to learn, I really enjoy the prospect of finding out about my new students.  It's great when other teachers tell me, "Oh you're going to love him" or "She's so terrific in class!"  I look forward to learning about these people on my own.

In Geometry, many of the students emailed me with examples of symmetry.  My favorite example was from a girl in my 3rd period class, who described to me the process of folding a tissue over and over to create new lines of symmetry.  And then somebody else wrote about their grilled cheese sandwich, cut symmetrically along the diagonal.  Right now I am looking at my black cat, whose face looks pretty symmetrical, but it probably isn't exactly. 

I'm still waiting to hear from the Living Math students about scale, although one student sent me an excellent example of a scaled image of another scaled image - a pocket subway map!  I appreciate everyone's indulgence of my own scaled drawing on the SmartBoard ; )
Well, it's on to Multiple Intelligences for everyone - I'm really looking for ideas from my students as to how they think they can best express their understanding of math.  More on this over the weekend.

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed the lesson on Multiple Intelligences! I myself find my intelligence to be in music, well at least based on the quiz you gave us!


    - Kardell T.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kardell - do you play any instruments, or sing in a choir?

    Ms. M

    ReplyDelete